How to Choose the Best Caterer For Your Event
Finding a good caterer to provide the food at your event isn’t at all difficult. There are, however, a few important notes to keep in mind so that you can be more assured of quality. In this guide, we’ll show what those are, and we’ll break it down into two major considerations.
The first has to do with your needs, as it’s crucial that you find a caterer who is equipped to handle the job. The second one involves weighing your options and identifying the characteristics that show a caterer is worthy of your business. Let’s get started.
Determining your needs
Consider the following aspects of your event in order to communicate this information to any potential caterer. This is the first step you need to take in finding a caterer, so complete it before you even start searching for options.
- Size and location of the event: Find out how many people will be attending your event and where it will be held. Caterers usually charge by the head, so count the expected number of guests and make room for sudden changes. The location will also determine which caterers you can work with, as most caterers service a specified area only.
- Your budget: With the expected headcount in mind, allot how much you’re willing to spend to feed each person. Price ranges between caterers can vary wildly, so you have to be able to narrow things down to the ones you can afford.
- Your proposed menu: Have an idea of what food you want to be served. Determine what type of cuisine you want, how many courses/dishes should there be, and if there are any special dietary requirements that have to be accounted for.
- Venue-specific considerations: If you’ve already committed to a specific venue, find out what their facilities are like so that caterers have a better idea of what to expect. Some venues will only work with a certain set of caterers, or they might have special deals with them, so ask the venue manager about any caterer-specific policies they might have.
Weighing your options
Now that you know what your needs are, you can start looking at the different catering services available to you. Present each one with the information you gathered from the previous step and learn more about them. In your dealings with them, ask yourself the following questions:
- Are they easy to communicate with? Food and drinks are a huge aspect of an event and your caterer should be able to address all your concerns promptly and with complete and accurate information. They should also be accommodating of your needs, and be willing to compromise if necessary.
- Are they professional? Find out if they are trustworthy in the quality of their responses. Look at their promotional material and business practices to see if they have the credibility to deliver on their promises.
- What have their past clients said about them? For a definite idea into what kind of service they provide, look at a caterer’s website or social media pages and find feedback from previous clients.
There are possibly many other questions you should ask yourself and the caterer themselves, but take the time to learn as much as you can about them so that you can find the best caterer for your event.
If you have an upcoming event in the North Shore area of Sydney that needs professional gourmet catering services, please contact us now and we’ll be happy to be of assistance.